Friday 19 October 2012

Halogen Vs LED Downlights

Pondering whether to go for LED downlights or stick with the traditional Halogen variety.

Summary of my research

  • LED Technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years.
  • It is now possible to get 6w GU10 LED bulbs that are about as bright as a 50w Halogen.
  • It is now possible to get warm white and warm colour bulbs - I guess whether you like the colour as much as a traditional Halogen is a matter of personal taste.
  • LED uses significantly less power (e.g. 6w Vs 50) and so is cheaper to run and better for the environment.
Despite all this I was still not completely convinced (I guess I've got a picture of piercing ice-white cycle lights in my mind).

However then I read this excellent analysis of how the economics work out.

Conclusion is LED pays for itself after 2 years and 9 months and should save about £160 per bulb over the lifetime of the LED bulb. I reckon I'll be getting 20 bulbs to that's a saving of £3,200 !!!

LED bulbs it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment