Wednesday 12 September 2012

Underfloor heating with suspended timber floor

Builder is back on site today after a day off to finish up his other job.

I want to ask him how the underfloor heating will work if we go with a suspended wooden floor. I have seen a some examples of this on the interweb but it will be quite a different construction from the originally planned concrete slab. From what I can tell the idea would be to insulate the wooden floor from underneath with rigid (presumably 'kingspan') insulation between the rafters and then lay the underfloor heating on top. Finally and all importantly a layer of some sort of concrete screed would be required on top to provide thermal mass. Well I'll report back when I've caught up with Nick.

In the last few days after a great deal of research and gathering of quotations I have selected the bifold doors we are going to order and the specification/supplier/fitter of the roof lantern that will go in the middle of the roof. Getting the roof lantern and doors sorted out has almost been as much work as finding a builder and specifying what we wanted done. Mind you this is fully justified as it's a major part of the whole project (both financially and architecturally). Anyway, this is one area I really wanted to share my experience as I found surprising little online with regards people's experiences in going through the selection process. Suffice to say I think I've got a really great spec which should look fantastic when it's all done and dusted.

I have an on-site survey meeting with the glazing company and my builder this Tuesday to go through it all. I am told it will take 10 weeks from survey to installation (doors are made to order in Germany - sorry UK economy, money to bail out Greece has to come from somewhere...), which would mean we would be watertight on November 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment